My childhood memories are filled with the gracious mango tree that decorated our front yard. The enticing and fresh smell of ripe mangoes, kids pelting stones at the tree for the mangoes, we running to pick them up as soon as they dropped, my grandfather keeping soaking them in water before we could eat. Mmmmm.. just amazing!
It is not at all an exaggeration to say that many of us wait for summer to begin celebrating these magnificent fruits. The number of options that mangoes provide for quick delights, is endless: from long-lasting pickles (with just raw mangoes, salt, red-pepper, oil & mustard powder), to desserts, ice-creams and juices.
Today, I would like to share a simple recipe that you could use to prepare a home made mango ice-cream, with minimal ingredients, and in just few minutes.
- Fresh Mangoes (Any kind – Mexican Style Mangoes, Indian Style mangoes – Kesar, Banginpally ) and puree them – 1/2 Cup
- Whipping Cream – 1 Cup
- Condensed Milk – 1/4 Cup
- Saffron soaked in one tablespoon of milk – Pinch
- Cardamom and Fennel Seed powder – 1 Tb Spoon ( less cardamom and more fennel)
- Take a chilled bowl and start whipping the cream till soft peaks are formed
- Fold in Sweetened condensed milk, mango puree, saffron ,cardamom and fennel seed powder
- Cover the bowl and store in freezer if you would like it to be icecream
- Store in refrigirator if you would like to use it as a topping on pancakes or waffles
- There could be many variations to this. One can add nuts of their choice and/or food color.
- I do this year after year with same ingredients as I felt this is more authentic.Also, with less ingredients, the taste of mangoes with subtle flavor of saffron and fennel seeds tastes heavenly.