Today’s recipe belongs to the category of “no-one-can-get-it-wrong” and “no-one-can-eat just-one” !
This Milk cake is traditionally prepared using the colostrum milk that a cow produces for the first few days after it delivers a calf. At my native place, neighbors share this often and my grandmother used to make this once in a while. I wanted my kids to taste “junnu” (as we call it locally) and I looked for alternatives and came up with this recipe after experimenting with different ingredients and with different proportions.
Lets look into the recipe!
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk powder
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper powder(optional)
- Make sure the yogurt is REALLY thick. I use Greek Yogurt, but if you are using regular yogurt, strain the yogurt using a cheese cloth and put it in the refrigerator over-night.
- I prefer a mild version of yogurt that is not too sour.
- Sweetened condensed milk can be substituted with Jaggery but I liked the taste of this version better.
- Mix yogurt and condensed milk in a bowl and whisk it till the consistency is smooth.
- Add milk powder and whole milk and whisk again.
- Use a steamer or pressure cooker to steam this mixture for 40-45 minutes.
- Check if the fork comes out neat and if yes, the cake is ready.
- Put the bowl on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Refrigerate for one hour.
- Cut to desired pieces and serve.
- If you are using a pressure cooker, put a plate after adding water and then place this bowl on top of the plate.
- Do not place whistle on the cooker!
If you liked this recipe, you know what to do:)
Please Like, share and comment!
Will come back with new recipe in few weeks!!!
Recipe of today is the most loved by my family and friends. I have experimented with these by changing the type of chocolate, by adding or not-adding some ingredients. I (and and some of my friends too ) can vouch that every time it tasted heavenly.
So, lets dig into this superrrrr recipe !!!
- Semi- Sweet Chocolate Chips – 1 Cup
- Butter – 1/4 Cup – Cool it to room Temperature
- Powdered Sugar – As per taste
- All purpose flour – 1 Cup + 2 Tb Spoons
- Baking powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Vanilla Extract – 1 Tb Spoon
- Milk – 1/4 Cup
Method of Preparation
- Preheat the Oven to 325 F/160 C
- Melt the Chocolate chips and let them cool
- In a large bowl beat butter,sugar, Vanilla extract until light and fluffy
- Stir in the melted chocolate into the butter mixture until it is well blended
- Sieve the All purpose flour , Baking soda and Baking Powder and combine these dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Make this into a firm dough which does not stick to the hands
- Add some milk if you feel that dough is too firm or it is difficult to combine
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoons (after rolling them in powdered sugar) about two inches apart onto lightly greased cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes .
- Let it cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet
- Bake 10-12 minutes only.
- Leave the cookies to cool before transferring them to another container
- Thet are supposed to be soft and have cracks in between.
- You could use icing sugar too but I prefer powdered sugar.
Second Variation With Cocoa Powder
- I used TCHO Cocoa powder (from Whole Foods) in this second experiment instead of semi- sweet chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 Cup
- Butter – 1/2 Cup
- Powdered Sugar – 1/2 Cup .The Cocoa powder did not have sugar. So, the quantity of sugar will change
- Milk – 1/4 Cup. You can keep adding milk till the dough combines
- All Purpose flour – 3/4 Cup
- As this had more dry ingredients than wet ingredients, the quantity of butter and milk changed.
Third Variation (VEGAN)
- Cocoa Powder (TCHO from Whole Foods) – 1/2 Cup
- Organic Extra Virgin Coconut oil – 1/2 Cup
- Coconut Sugar – 1/2 Cup
- All Purpose Flour – 3/4 Cup
The method and the baking time are the same in all three variations!
Check out the pics below for more clarity. Hope you will like it !
Please like, share, comment 🙂 Your feedback is important 🙂
Will share my ” Omega 3, Anti-oxidant Rich Energy Bar” in the next post!
Till then, Chau !!